Web Toolbar by Wibiya

Project Far

A special place to show off your latest screenshots and to recieve comments on them.

Passer-by

Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:23 am

Project Far

Hello community,

For a few months now I've been working on a game. I'm calling it Project Far, simple because I haven't stopped to think of a better name for it. (Suggestions?) Anyway, in this post I'd like to show you what I have, what I'm going to be making and some issues I'd really like your help on. I have several Axiom related problems that still need to be resolved and it seems to me many of you have already resolved them. So instead of banging my head against the wall for a month and losing all motivation, I'd rather just ask the experts.

The game

Project Far is a tycoon-style game. You can build space craft and space structures to obtains resources and build more space craft and space structures. What's there not to like, right? Let me show you some of the concepts that are already implemented.

A map. (the 'world' in which you play. (see: http://www.vexorum.com/far/Sept2012-1.png (Yaay, nested parentheses!)))
The map contains star systems which can have planets and it can also contains already-built structures. In the case of this screenshot: 3 Bridges are already in place. (The white dotted lines.) The map also contains a City Ship for each player. In this case, 3. You don't see them in this screenshot, because we're way zoomed out. A map also specifies some other things, like game objectives, which resources exist and where, how much anything costs, and many other game rules that there are, really.

Stars produce energy that can be collected using solar-panel-carrying spacecraft. Planets can contain resources which can be obtained using harvester spacecraft.

The City Ship is a key piece in the game. It is generally the only thing you'll start with. It has so many functions that I'll be challenged to write a clean tutorial for it. But understanding it is key. Take a look: http://www.vexorum.com/far/Sept2012-3.png The City Ship is the central storage place for all your energy and resources. It also has a small factory, allowing you to expand your fleet. In this screenshot you see that the storage is configurable. You can determine how much room you want to reserve for which type of resource. The city also has its own solar power generator. It's pretty good, but usually isn't enough to finish a map.

Resources. Many games have this magical storage for all your resources. Once a worker/harvester drops off the resources at a certain point, the resources can be used anywhere. I don't Like that. So in Far, imagine a harvester is gathering resources and bringing them to the city. The city's factory can directly access them, since it's right there! But if you have a resource-hungry construction spacecraft a few star systems further, you'll have to bring your resources to it. None of this magical teleporting vital goods. To keep a good eye on which craft is doing what, take a look at this planning window. http://www.vexorum.com/far/Sept2012-2.png This is the plan of a Bridge Builder craft. It simply lists several actions. Build this, go there, build that. Plans can be set to run once, like this one. Or loop, which is quite handy for harvesters. Alongside this Bridge Builder, there are several smaller freighters. They have a plan that says 'pick up resources at City', 'drop off resources at builder', repeat. They will follow the builder around no matter how it moves and keep it supplied.

OK, there is one magically teleporting resource in Project Far. Energy. When a spacecraft wants to move from one star system to the next, it needs energy. If a craft is heavy (like a fully loaded harvester) it will need quite a bit. Here is a screenshot of a heavy harvester trying to charge its jump drive, and a city completely out of power because of it. http://www.vexorum.com/far/Sept2012-4.png (This would be a situation to avoid.) Spacecraft drain energy from the city directly, no matter where they are.

To 'win', the player is usually asked to connect specific star systems with bridges, or to gather a certain amount of resources. There are already quite a number of choices a player can make. And I have many more features still planned and under development. http://www.vexorum.com/far/Sept2012-5.png (I'm just so tired of the single button "Click here to win!" style games.)

Passer-by

Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:31 am

Re: Project Far

The Issues

1. It seems I can only use the Direct9 engine. OpenGL will crash immediately and XNA will not display the models correctly. Anyone else seen this issue before?

2. Resizing the window. I've read this was an bug in an older version of Axiom. But I am up-to-date and it's not working. Here's what I have.
  Code:
WindowEventMonitor.Instance.RegisterListener(renderWindow, listener);
before I call engine.StartRendering(); The listener implements IWindowEventListener. But I don't know what is expected of me in the functions.
  Code:
        public void WindowMoved(RenderWindow rw)
        {
            //rw.WindowMovedOrResized();
        }

public void WindowResized(RenderWindow rw)
        {
            game.WindowDimensionsChanged();
            //rw.WindowMovedOrResized();
        }

public void WindowClosed(RenderWindow rw)
        {
            game.CloseApplication();
        }

public void WindowFocusChange(RenderWindow rw)
        {
        }
Additionally, I've seen that if the window loses focus, it stops updating. Is there a way around this?

3. Sound. I know Axiom doesn't have built-in sound support. I've spent a day trying to play an mp3 from C# without any luck. How do you do it? Please, point me in the right direction.

Likely, there are issues I fail to think of right now. But if these three things are fixed, I'll be a very happy coder.

Veteran

Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:10 pm

Cool :)

Are you using 0.8 (branch) or 0.9 (trunk) ?
For audio, you can use DragonOgg library, works great (it uses opentk library so works on windows+linux+macosx)

Passer-by

Post Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:14 pm

Thanks Migel! :)

I haven't built Axiom myself. I've been running on the 0.8 binary. I'd be very willing to upgrade or build it myself, if I could be sure it would help.

** Delete Issue - DerivedFloat to AbsoluteInt : Traced problem to stupid mistake in my own code.... :oops: **

I'll look into DragonOgg as soon as I can, Thanks!

Passer-by

Post Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:20 am

It looks like camera.far needs to be set to something larger. Of course I could be dead wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time :)???

Return to Project Showcase